VOLUNTEER AT THE SALISBURY ZOO!
Salisbury Zoo is looking for enthusiastic people to help encourage an appreciation of wildlife and promote conservation of our natural world by educating visitors about animals, nature, and conservation. You can choose which volunteer capacity fits your needs, interests and availability; we offer docent and service learning volunteer positions within education and intern positions within a variety of departments at the zoo.
WHAT IS A ZOO VOLUNTEER?
Zoo volunteers have an interest in wild animals, a positive attitude, and a
willingness to learn. No experience is necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
WHAT CAN VOLUNTEERS DO AT THE ZOO?
Docents help with education programs such as guided tours, live animal presentations, and school programs and serve as on-site experts for our guests. They share their knowledge of animals, nature, and conservation with visitors to encourage an appreciation of wildlife and inspire conservation of our natural world.
Salisbury Zoo Teen Docent
program will consist of a select
group of teens, ages 13-15 years old. This program will allow teens to explore
their interests in nature, animals, and conservation through service with the
Salisbury Zoo. Teens will be able to learn about careers in the environmental
field, gain experience speaking with the public, and make new friends! A full list of requirements can be found by clicking HERE
Service learning volunteers assist in specific projects that directly effect the zoo. Some projects deal with events, educational programming or the animals used in those programs. These projects are set up monthly and coordinated through the Education Department.
Interns assist with various responsibilities in their assigned department. Each internship is a hands on, real world, working internship.
HOW DO I BECOME A DOCENT?
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation Session.
- Fill out the appropriate application Docent Volunteer Application and return it to the Education Department.
- Attend Volunteer Training.
HOW DO I BECOME A TEEN DOCENT?
- Complete application by April 15. Teen Docent Application
- Attend one of the Open House dates.
- Complete in-person interview.
- If accepted in the program, pay registration fee no later than June 5.
HOW DO I BECOME A SERVICE LEARNING VOLUNTEER?
2. Supply contact information.
3. Check your email regularly for email notifications of upcoming projects.
4. Contact the Education Department to confirm if you will assist in the project.
HOW DO I BECOME AN INTERN?
1. Read the job descriptions provided on our volunteer>intern page.
2. Complete the appropriate application on our intern page
3. Be a high school senior or above.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF ZOO VOLUNTEERS?
- No experience necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
- Docents must be at least 16 years of age.
- Docents are required to complete 15 hours of classroom training and 15 hours of on-the-job training. There is a training fee to offset the cost of training materials.
- Docents are required to serve a minimum of 50 hours each year.
- Teen Docents must be between 13 and 15 years of age and be able to commit an average of 10 hours a
week for the duration of the summer (mid-June through mid-August). There is a program fee to offset the cost of uniform shirt and name badge.
- Service Learning Volunteers are required to sign a code of conduct.
- Service Learning Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age unless accompanied by a guardian for each project.
Salisbury Zoo is proud to be a sponsor site for AmeriCorps.
member assists in building and coordinating our volunteer activities,
creating and facilitating programs and managing care for our education