VOLUNTEER AT THE SALISBURY ZOO!
Salisbury Zoo is looking for enthusiastic people to help encourage an appreciation of wildlife and promote conservation of our natural world by educating visitors about animals, nature, and conservation. You can choose which volunteer capacity fits your needs, interests and availability; we offer a docent position and service learning volunteer positions. If you have an interest in wild animals and nature, a willingness to learn, and some time on your hands, consider becoming a volunteer at the Salisbury Zoo.
WHAT IS A ZOO VOLUNTEER?
Zoo volunteers have an interest in wild animals, a positive attitude, and a
willingness to learn. No experience is necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
WHAT DO VOLUNTEERS DO AT THE ZOO?
Docents help with education programs such as guided tours, live animal presentations, and school programs and serve as on-site experts for our guests. They share their knowledge of animals, nature, and conservation with visitors to encourage an appreciation of wildlife and inspire conservation of our natural world.
Service learning volunteers assist in specific projects that directly effect education programming and the animals used in those programs. These projects are set up monthly and coordinated through the Education Department.
Salisbury Zoo is proud to be a sponsor site for AmeriCorp.
Our member assists in building and coordinating our volunteer activities.
HOW DO I BECOME A DOCENT?
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation Session.
- Fill out a Volunteer Application and return it to the Education Department with your training fee.
- Attend Volunteer Training.
HOW DO I BECOME A SERVICE LEARNING VOLUNTEER?
2. Supply contact information.
3. Check your email regularly for email notifications of upcoming projects.
4. Contact the Education Department to confirm if you will assist in the project.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF ZOO VOLUNTEERS?
- No experience necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
- Docents must be at least 14 years of age.
- Docents are required to complete 15 hours of classroom training and 15 hours of on-the-job training. There is a training fee to offset the cost of training materials.
- Docents are required to serve a minimum of 50 hours each year.
- Service Learning Volunteers are required to sign a code of conduct.
- Service Learning Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age unless accompanied by a guardian for each project.