WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE TO BE INVOLVED AT THE ZOO?
Docents are long term, volunteer educators. They have annual requirements that must be met to maintain their status. They have the option of earning hours and gaining opportunities to work with the Ambassador Animal Collection.
Our Teen Docents are known as the Zoo Crew. Our team is active in the summer months when students typically have more availability. They are trained in a variety of interactive opportunities they use with guests. Special projects are done each summer by our Zoo Crew that assist us in our Conservation efforts.
SERVICE LEARNING VOLUNTEER
Service Learning Volunteers provide assistance on projects and events at the zoo. These are things that require no special training or long term commitment.
Interns are utilized through various departments at the zoo. Based on your interest and experience, you can choose from the Education Department, Marketing and Development Department, the Keepers or the Animal Hospital to apply for an internship.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF ZOO VOLUNTEERS?
- No experience necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
- Docents must be at least 16 years of age.
- Docents are required to complete 15 hours of classroom training and 15 hours of on-the-job training. There is a training fee to offset the cost of training materials.
- Docents are required to serve a minimum of 50 hours each year.
- Teen Docents must be between 13 and 15 years of age and be able to commit an average of 10 hours a week for the duration of the summer (mid-June through mid-August). There is a program fee to offset the cost of uniform shirt and name badge.
- Service Learning Volunteers are required to sign a code of conduct.
- Service Learning Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age unless accompanied by a guardian for each project.
- Interns are required to provide a minimum commitment of 15 hours a week.
- Interns seeking school credit are required to provide needed documentation in advance of internship placement.
HOW DO I BECOME A DOCENT, A TEEN DOCENT, A SERVICE LEARNING VOLUNTEER OR AN INTERN?
Go to our Volunteer page to get all the details about each option.