VOLUNTEER AT THE SALISBURY ZOO!
Salisbury Zoo is looking for enthusiastic people to help encourage an appreciation of wildlife and promote conservation of our natural world by educating visitors about animals, nature, and conservation. You can choose which volunteer capacity fits your needs, interests and availability; we offer docent and service learning volunteer positions within education and intern positions within a variety of departments at the zoo.
WHAT IS A ZOO VOLUNTEER?
Zoo volunteers have an interest in wild animals, a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn. No experience is necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
WHAT CAN VOLUNTEERS DO AT THE ZOO?
Docents help with education programs such as guided tours, live animal presentations, and school programs and serve as on-site experts for our guests. They share their knowledge of animals, nature, and conservation with visitors to encourage an appreciation of wildlife and inspire conservation of our natural world.
Salisbury Zoo Teen Docent program will consist of a select group of teens, ages 13-15 years old. This program will allow teens to explore their interests in nature, animals, and conservation through service with the Salisbury Zoo. Teens will be able to learn about careers in the environmental field, gain experience speaking with the public, and make new friends! A full list of requirements can be found by clicking Program-details-info-sheet
Service learning volunteers assist in specific projects that directly effect the zoo. Some projects deal with events, educational programming or the animals used in those programs. These projects are set up and coordinated through the Education Department.
Interns assist with various responsibilities in their assigned department. Each internship is a hands-on, real world, working internship.
HOW DO I BECOME A DOCENT?
- Attend Volunteer Orientation Session to discover more information, if needed.
- Fill out the appropriate application via Brochure 2021 and return it to the Education Department.
- Attend all Volunteer Training sessions, virtual and in-person.
HOW DO I BECOME A TEEN DOCENT*?
- Complete application by May 28. Teen Docent Application
- Complete in-person interview.
- If accepted in the program, pay registration fee no later than June 5.
HOW DO I BECOME A SERVICE LEARNING VOLUNTEER?
- Contact the Education Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supply contact information.
- Check your email regularly for email notifications of upcoming projects.
- Contact the Education Department to confirm if you will assist in the project.
HOW DO I BECOME AN INTERN?
- Read the job descriptions provided. Intern Job Descriptions and Applications
- Complete the appropriate application.
- Be a high school senior or above.
Salisbury Zoo is proud to be a sponsor site for AmeriCorps. Our member assists in building and coordinating our volunteer activities, creating and facilitating programs and managing care for our education animal collection.