VOLUNTEER AT THE SALISBURY ZOO!
Salisbury Zoo is looking for enthusiastic people to help encourage an appreciation of wildlife and promote conservation of our natural world by educating visitors about animals, nature, and conservation. You can choose which volunteer capacity fits your needs, interests and availability; we offer docent and service learning volunteer positions within education and intern positions within a variety of departments at the zoo.
WHAT IS A ZOO VOLUNTEER?
Zoo volunteers have an interest in wild animals, a positive attitude, and a
willingness to learn. No experience is necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
WHAT CAN VOLUNTEERS DO AT THE ZOO?
Docents help with education programs such as guided tours, live animal presentations, and school programs and serve as on-site experts for our guests. They share their knowledge of animals, nature, and conservation with visitors to encourage an appreciation of wildlife and inspire conservation of our natural world.
Service learning volunteers assist in specific projects that directly effect the zoo. Some projects deal with events, educational programming or the animals used in those programs. These projects are set up monthly and coordinated through the Education Department.
Interns assist with various responsibilities in their assigned department. Each internship is a hands on, real world, working internship.
HOW DO I BECOME A DOCENT?
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation Session.
- Fill out a Volunteer Application and return it to the Education Department with your training fee.
- Attend Volunteer Training.
HOW DO I BECOME A SERVICE LEARNING VOLUNTEER?
2. Supply contact information.
3. Check your email regularly for email notifications of upcoming projects.
4. Contact the Education Department to confirm if you will assist in the project.
HOW DO I BECOME AN INTERN?
1. Read the job descriptions provided on our volunteer>intern page.
2. Complete the appropriate application on our intern page
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF ZOO VOLUNTEERS?
- No experience necessary—we will teach you everything you need to know.
- Docents must be at least 14 years of age.
- Docents are required to complete 15 hours of classroom training and 15 hours of on-the-job training. There is a training fee to offset the cost of training materials.
- Docents are required to serve a minimum of 50 hours each year.
- Service Learning Volunteers are required to sign a code of conduct.
- Service Learning Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age unless accompanied by a guardian for each project.
Salisbury Zoo is proud to be a sponsor site for AmeriCorps.
member assists in building and coordinating our volunteer activities,
creating and facilitating programs and managing care for our education